Thursday, March 22, 2007

First Cut Hand In Day

Aloha!

Well, today is First Cut Hand In Day (FCHID). It's always funny (and a little unsettling) to see so many people putting finishing touches on it this morning, or the suprised looks when you tell your peers "no man, it's today, not tomorrow"...


But thankfully, my first cut has been done for a little while. On Monday I swithered whether to hand it in or not, but instead thought "no, let's make this better" and applied some extra effects and post production elements like de-interlacing all the footage, addign the shaky cam and other camera elements onto the bread falling scenes, and also when through my Master audio files and re-mixed the film. Now, it shouldn't pop the speakers during the loud points, since the levels do not max out anymore. It's the kind of jobs that really make the film, but are constantly overlooked while you're making the film, saying "yeah, I'll do that next week" but it won't really happen.

So, all in all I am happy with my first cut - there are still 2 shots missing, but they have been set up so everything apart from the final animation and lip sync is there. This way, it won't be a distraction when it could've cut back to the animatic. The film is looking very polished and aesthethically looks more complete than any other film I've seen in the studio. Whether it will stand up as a good film among my peers on Monday's Crit, will be the true test. I am confident, but also humbled by the help I've had in blending and making it look nice, plus all the favours I've asked for the actual photography and voices...so I won't be arrogant or pretentious come Monday if I have to present it - but quietly confident that the film will entertain and speak for itself to a large extent.

:o) I'll post a report on Monday/Tuesday

~breakmaker

No comments: